Tunxi Ancient Street is one of the famous tourist attractions in Huangshan city, it is at the foot of the Mt. Huangshan, in the bend of Xin'an River, lies the beautiful mountain town called "Tunxi ". The "Tunxi Ancient Street" can be found in this old city. It is a commercial street that is only for pedestrians. The merchants from the Anhui, Zhejiang, Jiangxi, and Fujian provinces jostle each other in a crowd that resembles the picture "The Spring Festival along the River". The street starts in the west at Zhenhai Bridge, a stone arch bridge built during the Ming Dynasty, and ends in the east at the "Memorial Archway." Its total length is about 1.5 km and the sides of the street are laid with slab stones.
History of Tunxi Ancient Street
First built over 700 years ago, during the Song Dynasty (960-1279), the street is flanked by some buildings from this period. More noticeable are the buildings from the Ming and Qing Dynasties (1368-1911), during which time the "Tunxi Ancient Street" became a distribution center for goods and materials to Huizhou.
What to Do in Tunxi Ancient Street
1) Tunxi Ancient Street is a shopping street in Huangshan city, there are hundreds of old but well-preserved rows of shops, evoking a bygone era in buildings that are simple and elegant. It is a good place to eating local snacks and shop for the authentic Huangsha, Anhui local specialties, such as dried chrysanthemum flower, pickles, writing brush, ink stick and more. There are also many small food vendors and some restaurants for the delicious dumpling.
2) Appreciate hui style architecture at Tunxi Ancient Street, it is one of the area that keeps lots of old building in original hui style. Most of buildings in this street are only three stories high, stone-based and brick-laid. They are decorated with small green tiles, wood carvings in the Hui style, ancient shop signs, and red-lacquered with double eaves on the roofs. They are simple and elegant, magnificent and clean.
3) Visit the Museum at Tunxi Ancient Street, there are two well-known museums. One is the Tunxi Museum, it is the comprehensive museum that shows the Ming and Qing Dynasty furniture, calligraphy, paintings, porcelain, jade, bronze, Four Treasures of the Study, as well as Huizhou tile carvings. The other is the first private museum of ancient architectural style-Wancuilou.
4) Make your own brush or ink stick/ stable at workshop in Tunxi Street, all of them are the trusures of study in China. Such as Huizhou ink stick plays an important role in our country’s ink-stick-making industry. It is named so because it originates in ancient Huizhou. It is one of the Four Treasures and preferred by artists. There are many workshop can let you to experience them.
Location: It is located in the center of Huangshan city, Tunxi District.
Ticket Price: Free
Opening Hours: All day, but most shops are closed after 10:00pm.
Time for visiting: 1-2 hours
How to get to Tunxi Ancient Street
1) You can take taxi or bus No.1 3, 5, 8, 11, 12, 15, or 21to reach at Tunxi Ancient Street
2) If you arrive at Huangshan North Train Station or Tunxi Airport, you can take taxi or book a privat transfer to get to Tunxi Ancient Street, it takes around half an hour from train station and airport to Huangshan downtown area.
Tour The Tunxi Ancient Street with Hangzhou Huangshan Private Tour
We design private and tailor-made Hangzhou Huangshan Tours customized to your style of travel at affordable local prices. We will provide a private & spacious car and a local professional tour guide with over 5 years guiding experience only work for you or your group. Transport, ticket, and dining (We find the most authentic dishes popular with locals) all we will arrange for you according your requirements. Please check our most popular Hangzhou&Huangshan Tours including The Tunxi Ancient Street as below:
Are the above sample tour programs not suitable for you? We have more Huangshan Tours. Our tours can be tailor-made based on your requirements and budget to create unique Hangzhou experiences that allow you to interact with the local people and culture. We are Hangzhou travel experts who know what your guidebook and foreign agencies don't. Our enthusiastic tour expert will promptly reply you in details within 24 hours.
Duration：6 - 8 Hours
Attractions(Cities)：The hangzhou Westlake(including a boat cruise), Fish Viewing at the Flower Pond, Guo Garden, Drangon Well Tea Plantation, Bamboo lined path at Yunqi, Qinghefang Ancient Street
Tour Style：Accompanied by your private knowledgeable guide over 5+ years guiding experience and skillful driver over 10+ years driving experience, explore the best of Hangzhou on a full-day tour. Take a boat ride on West Lake to stay away from the crowds. the placid waters of which have been immortalized throughout history in literature and poetry. Experience a Chinese tea ceremony at Longjing Green Tea Plantation; walk through the Bamboo lined path at Yunqi to fully experience the serenity and beautiful nature of Hangzhou.
Duration：6 - 8 Hours
Attractions(Cities)：The hangzhou Westlake(including the boat cruise), Fish Viewing at the Flower Pond, Lingyin Temple and Meijiawu Tea Plantation, Anmanfayun Village, The Song Dynasty Imperial Street
Tour Style：This comprehensive Skip-The-Line full day tour of Hangzhou is perfect for you. Take a boat ride around the UNESCO-listed West Lake, view elegant landscapes at Fish Viewing at Flower Park, visit the secluded Zen monastery of Lingyin Temple, sip tea at Meijiawu Tea Vollage and stroll Song Dynasty Imperial Street. This guided tour lets you skip those queues and head straight into each scenic spot, which make your trip hassel-free and time well spent.
Attractions(Cities)：The hangzhou Westlake(including a boat cruise), Lingyin Temple, Meijiawu Tea Plantation, Qinghefang Street, Impression WestLake Show
Tour Style：Discover the famous Paradise City Hangzhou on a fully customized sightseeing day trip from Shanghai by bullet train. Accompanied by your private guide, stroll around Flower Harbor Park and take a relaxing boat on the West Lake. Visit the famous Lingyin temple; See the traditional Meijiawu tea mountain; wonder along the old Hefang Street and enjoy the magnificent Impression Westlake show. Local lunch and dinner, tea tasting at Meijiawu, round trip bullet train tickets, private guide and private vehicle service are inclusive.
Attractions(Cities)：West Lake(Private rowing boat cruise), Guo's Villa, Lingyin Temple, Meijiawu Tea Plantation, Cheng Huang Pavilion
Tour Style：Independent travelers will love the flexibility of this private door to door day tour. This is the ideal tour for travelers with limited time in Hangzhou. Take the stress out of booking train tickets from Shanghai to Hangzhou and planning an itinerary by having everything arranged for you. Accompanied by your knowledgeable guide over 5+ years guiding experience and skillful driver over 10+ years driving experience, you'll immerse yourself in its world renowned natural, historical and cultural features.
Duration：2 Days, 1 Night
Attractions(Cities)：The West Lake(including boat cruise on the lake),Guo Garden,China National Tea Museum,Dragon Well Tea Plantation (Meijiawu Tea Village),Leifeng Pagoda,The Song Dynasty Imperial Street,Six Harmonies pagoda, Fish Viewing Flower Pond,Lingyin Temple, etc
Tour Style：As one of seven ancient capitals in China, the rich history and the splendid culture endow Hangzhou with profoundness. Come with us to discover Hangzhou's top attractions in two days. You'll enjoy boat ride on West Lake (Landmark of Hangzhou), Guo Garden, Leifeng Pagoda, etc. On the second day, explore Lingyin Temple, Longjing Tea Plantation (Best Green Tea & China national tea), Bamboo Forest & Ancient street. Take your VIP seat for the Impression West Lake Show.
Certificate of Excellence
China Private Tours-Day Tour
(Your Privacy is Protected)
1 to 1 tailor-made service from our professional travel advisors for the most sophisticated
Constantly excellent reviews for attraction, hotel and service Competitive price
Local experts provide quality tours Best selected knowledgeable local guides Authentic local restaurants
7*24 hours available to create you a worry-free tour. No Hidden Fees and absolutely no pressure to buy. Secured